Wednesday, May 5, 2010

By Shaquille O'Neal, Special to CNN: Don't forget the plight of Haiti's children

When the January 12 earthquake hit Haiti, I watched hour upon hour of coverage on CNN. Like everyone else in the world, I saw images that were among the most horrifying caused by a natural disaster in our time.


I had never been to Haiti at the time. Like many, I have friends and even family members of Haitian descent. But what occurred to me and most others were the questions: "How could this happen and be so destructive?" "Why the lack of infrastructure?" "Why the lack of preparation for disaster?" No country could be totally prepared for that kind of disaster, but Haiti and its people seemed to be particularly disadvantaged against Mother Nature's might.

No comments:

Post a Comment