Wednesday, May 5, 2010

From Haiti to Naperville, Chandler Polyte warms up to track and field

Coming to America initially as a foreign exchange student from Duchity, Haiti, Polyte first attended Aurora Christian. He now is living in Naperville with his guardian, whom he met when she came to Haiti as part of a medical mission group, he said.
A soccer player, Polyte was convinced to run track by Naperville North distance coach Dave Racey. In fact, Huskies head coach Mike Ellberg noted that on Saturday Polyte ran on the Huskies' 3,200-meter relay right after he made his 13-foot vault.
"It's been - I don't know how to describe it - amazing," Polyte said.
The upside-down practice of pole vault may be strange to some, but not Polyte.
"When I was in Haiti, during the summer every time I would go climb trees I would stay upside down and do pushups upside-down," he said. "So I'm kind of used to that. I'm not afraid of heights."
Polyte has been accepted by Iowa Wesleyan and Dominican University but said he'd really like to attend Illinois College.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the notice. Mwen vle al anseye PoleVault an Ayiti

    ReplyDelete