Sunday, June 13, 2010

Haiti native Obe Blanc wins World Wrestling 55-KG title


Obe Blanc can breathe again, and not just because of clinching his first spot on the World Team with a win in the 55-kg championship Saturday.

The Haitian-born Blanc, a former Oklahoma State wrestler, said his family is doing well in Haiti after the crippling earthquake late last year. An uncle and cousin were killed in the quake, but it's the strength he hears in the voices of his mother and sisters regularly that he says helps him get through the days.

“My sisters joke and ask me if I've got a girlfriend yet, stuff like that,” Blanc said. “It brings me back to earth and helps me realize that it's the simple things.”

Blanc was a third-place finisher at the Team Trials last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment