Wednesday, July 7, 2010

James Hilaire goes to U.S. Para-Olympic soccer team tryout camp


STAMFORD -- It is a typical summer evening and the artificial turf soccer fields at Stamford's West Beach are teeming with action.

By one of the sideline nets is Stamford's James Hilaire wearing soccer cleats.

For most people, that wouldn't be news.

But considering less than two years ago, the former University of New Haven goalie was in the hospital in a coma after brain surgery following a collision between an opposing player's knee and the left side of his head -- it is huge news.

"It feels great to wear soccer cleats again. With the brace on my right leg I can run," Hilaire said. "I run on the field and my friends look and say `That's not James running is it?' But yes, that's me."

No comments:

Post a Comment